We've had some lovely cooler weather to give this temperate mama a break over the past 3 days. This weekend is Labor Day Weekend, and temps will be heating back up into the 90's. Summer's last hurrah!
I am thankful for a new month, and planning for my fall goals (most of them dealing with food preservation, or food in general. you can laugh.)
Here are a few of my upcoming September/October goals:
1. Purchasing/storing our 1/4 of grass-fed beef.
2. canning freestone peaches, nectarines, pickles, dilly beans, tomatoes/tomato sauce.
3. making apple, pear, pumpkin butters for fall/winter gifts and for consuming at near-alarming rates ourselves.
4. making hard apple cider (a tradition every year:), thanks to my awesome FIL, and our favourite local homebrew supply store: Bader's
4 1/2: making flavored vinegars, syrups and infusions for gifts and for health/colds in fall and winter.
5. knitting more.
6. finishing my fall mass-decluttering.
7. getting the kids and i on a more "autumnal" schedule of more structured learning times, outings (even when it's raining!) and going to our gorgeous new library downtown that has early childhood sensory centers set up for them!
8. starting a preschool co-op with a few local mama friends of mine.
9. foraging for local free sources of nuts, herbs, fruits, etc.
Just because I post goals doesn't mean I am ALWAYS productive or ALWAYS going to accomplish everything I want to. Let's face it. As much as I'd like to BELIEVE I am a Jedi, (in my heart i really am!) I am a simple nerdy mom who sometimes likes surfing the internet, eating mac-n-cheese, watching awesome movies like "I Am Number Four" with my husband, and playing IKEA barnyard or "dirt" with my kids. And pinning pictures on Pinterest. And reading a good book with a giant cuppa tea. And watching homebirth videos on youtube. And geeking out over finding a homemade hotpocket recipe on the internet. SEE??? I am pretty darn normal, folks. Now. excuse me. I have a raw egg/eggshell mess to clean up in the kitchen. My daughter LOVES chewing eggshells and squishiness of raw egg. Like, obsessed with it. I rest my case.