Friday, October 10, 2008

All The Pears Are Put Away

Ahhh----*the sound of me sitting back and relaxing for a moment*. My dear friend Charlotte came over for the day and helped me can my pears from the Bosc tree in the backyard...and they are BEAUTIFUL! The rest I will be making into dried slices, freezing, and pear butter. YUM. It was a great opportunity to teach Charlotte her first lesson in canning, and was really easy. It became quite apparent to her that it was definitely do-able and easier than she expected-plus it was great in that she could just have the kids bring their schoolwork with them while she helped! In return, we gave her some of the jars of newly canned Bosc pears to take home and devour;-)
My sweet little son is sleeping on our bed as I am getting to blog and check for updates on everything! We had a lovely storm last night that has littered every square inch of our deck and yard with leaves and twigs....and I am so excited because the earlier the sun goes down, the sooner I get to light my candles and grin and sing Celtic lullabies to Eoin while I make dinner.
The past two days I have been experimenting with bread recipes...trying to find a nutritious yet light and fluffy bread that you can grill and make sandwiches with, etc. I believe I have found it! Here is the recipe;)

INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup warm water
• 3 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup bread flour (or reg. all-purpose flour)
• 1 tablespoon white sugar (or raw honey)
• 2 cups quick cooking oats (or regular rolled oats)
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• ½ cup ground flax seed
• ½ cup raw wheat germ
• 4 1/2 cups warm water
• 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
• 2/3 cup brown sugar (or honey or white sugar)
• 2/3 cup vegetable oil
• 8-10 cups bread flour (or white wheat, etc.)

DIRECTIONS
1. In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, stir together 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup bread flour, and yeast. Let grow for about 5 minutes. It will bubble almost immediately.
2. Measure oats, 4 1/2 cups warm water, 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup flax seed, ½ cup wheat germ, 1 1/2 tbsp. salt, 2/3 cup sugar (or honey), and 2/3 cup oil into the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with a dough hook for 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed slightly, and begin adding bread flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Humidity determines how much flour you need before the bread pulls away from the edge of the bowl. It is normal for the dough to be sticky.
3. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead just until smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Divide dough into 4-6 pieces. Shape loaves, and place in greased 8 x 4 inch pans. Let rise until dough is 1 inch above rim of pans, usually 1 hour.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until tops are browned. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
*If you don’t want to cook all 4-6 loaves, then you can freeze the dough after it’s divided. Wrap in cellophane and put in a freezer Ziploc. Can be kept up to 3 months. When ready to use just take out and let it thaw naturally in a lightly greased bowl and rise. Will take the yeast longer to proof, but it will rise!


Pumpkin recipes soon to come! I'm working on modifying a few because I'm a cheese monger and I put cheese with most everything...so I am working on trying to LESSEN that, seeing as how not everything MUST have it. Ha. Blessings to you all this fine autumn day!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 AM

    Can't remember my password/user name =) I have been calling you and had no luck so far this week. Give me a ring 893-6540.

    Heather =)

    ReplyDelete